Monday, June 4, 2012

Making Time

So - a new writing experience begins.  Having completed the Slice of Life March Challenge successfully, I am eager to continue my growth as a new writer.  Teachers Write sounds just perfect.  Summer is here - finally - so I have time on my hands.  My kids are older now and more independent.  Making time for this should - SHOULD - be easy.  But I know better.  Things will get in the way.  Motivation will ebb and flow.  Nevertheless, I will try my best.  I am not a morning person.  I love sleeping in.  I am much more alert and creative late afternoons or evenings.  So that is likely when I will write.  After my husband goes to work in the afternoon and before dinner - maybe after.  As to where - probably on my front porch, weather permitting.  It gets the afternoon sun and is comfortable.  I refuse to make a commitment as to how long I will write each day.  I am a rule follower and I am learning as I age that this is not always necessary and quite liberating to be more spontaneous.  Since I am not working on a novel or story - since I usually write based on a whim or a single thought or a momentary event - I will likely write only around 15 minutes a day to start.  Maybe more, often less.  I am just happy to be writing something!  I finally shared the fact that I had a blog with my parents last April after the SOLC was over - but have not shared with anyone else.  I have no current desire to.  I am content at present to share with my fellow writers online.  I know it is important to let others know that this time is sacred and for me and important.  But I am not ready to share this process.  Not yet.  I look forward to meeting, reading, commenting with many of you this summer.  Thanks for this wonderful opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think it's okay to keep your writing to yourself. I know that I don't often share my writing with the every day people in my life--more often with teachers and classmates--and I'm not really sure why. Occasionally, with a certain piece or when the time is right, I'll share with those everyday people--family, roommate, etc.--but I think the most important thing is to write for yourself, and you are definitely doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently shared with my parents...they were surprised and my dad was curious. My teacher friends read and occasionally will comment. I feel like I trust the people who are slicing because a community has been created and they really seem to get it. XO nanc

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wise to know the best times and ways to nurture your writing. Writing is a gift you give yourself - as I've said very often - the fact that people I love and trust read my writing is icing on a cake.

    ReplyDelete